Anything-Goes Green Goddess Salad
- 3 (heaping) cups tender herbs (such as dill, parsely, cilantro, basil, mint, tarragon, and/or chives
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain whole-milk yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, crème fraîche, or labneh (Lebanese strained yogurt)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. drained capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 lemons, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 chilled cooked medium chicken breasts (about 1 lb.), 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, 8 boiled eggs, or 3 5-oz. cans oil-packed tuna
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 head Bibb, butter, romaine, or iceberg lettuce
- Potato chips (for serving)
Hide All Images
- Combine 3 (heaping) cups tender herbs (such as dill, parsely, cilantro, basil, mint, tarragon, and/or chives), ½ cup mayonnaise, ½ cup plain whole-milk yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, crème fraîche, or labneh (Lebanese strained yogurt), 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, 1 Tbsp. drained capers, 1 garlic clove, and a big pinch of kosher salt in a blender.
- Finely grate zest of 1 lemon into blender. Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice into blender. Blend on high until bright green, and speckled with small pieces of herbs. Taste dressing and season with freshly ground black pepper and more salt as needed.
- If using 2 chilled cooked medium chicken breasts (about 1 lb.), slice against the grain 1″ thick. Tear each slice into bite-size piece. If using one 15-oz. can chickpeas, drain and rinse well. If using 8 boiled eggs, peel and cut into bite-size pieces. If using three 5-oz. cans oil-packed tuna, drain and flake with a fork into bite-size pieces. Place protein of choice in a medium bowl.
- Add ¼ cup dressing to bowl with protein and mix well to combine. Place remaining dressing in a small bowl and set aside for serving.
- Remove any leaves attached to 2 celery stalks. Thinly slice stalks on a diagonal and mix into salad. Season with salt and pepper. Top with any celery leaves.
- Cut 1 ripe avocado in half. Remove pit, scoop flesh out of skin, and cut into ½”-thick wedges.
- Separate leaves of 1 head Bibb, butter, romaine, or iceberg lettuce. Wash and dry leaves thoroughly.
- To serve, place bowl of salad and reserved dressing on a platter and arrange lettuce, avocado wedges, and a big pile of potato chips around. Slice remaining 1 lemon into wedges. Drizzle a bit of juice over avocado. Arrange lemon wedges on platter. Sprinkle avocado with some salt and a crank or two of pepper.
Recipe by Molly Baz