Coconut Milk–Braised Chicken
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. Thai curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer layer removed, lightly crushed
- 1 1″ piece ginger, peeled, smashed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 2 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick; about 1½ lb. total)
- Kosher salt
- Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, cilantro leaves with tender stems, cooked rice, and lime wedges (for serving)
- Place a rack in top third of oven; preheat to 400°. Stir coconut milk and curry paste in a 2-qt. baking dish to combine (or, use a medium skillet if that’s what you’ve got). Add lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Season chicken with salt (hold back a bit since curry pastes often have a lot of salt). Place in baking dish and spoon some liquid over. Bake, occasionally spooning liquid over, until chicken is browned, tender, and cooked throughout (the joint should be reasonably easy to flex), 60–75 minutes.
- Divide chicken between plates. Top with coconut flakes and cilantro. Serve with rice and lime wedges alongside.
Recipe by Chris Morocco
Visit our friends at bonappetit.com