Miso Party Mix
- 4 cups assorted crackers, broken into bite-size pieces if large (such as sesame sticks, rice cakes, and/or rice crackers)
- 2 cups assorted crispy cereal (such as Rice Chex and/or Multi-Bran Chex)
- 2 cups assorted raw nuts (such as pecans and/or walnuts)
- ½ cup ghee or unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup white miso
- 2 Tbsp. raw sesame seeds
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1½ tsp. Morton kosher salt
- 2 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder, gochugaru, or mild crushed red pepper flakes, such as Aleppo-style
- A spice mill or mortar and pestle
- Place a rack in center of oven; preheat to 300°. Toss crackers, cereal, and nuts in a large bowl to combine.
- Melt ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in garlic, honey, and miso and cook, whisking occasionally, until just beginning to bubble around the edges, about 1 minute. Pour dressing over cereal mixture and toss with a flexible rubber spatula to coat. Sprinkle sesame seeds over and toss again to combine.
- Transfer party mix to a large parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake, tossing twice, until toasty and golden in color, 40–45 minutes. (The mix will feel soft out of the oven but will get crispier as it cools.)
- Meanwhile, grind nutritional yeast, salt, and chili powder in spice mill or with mortar and pestle to a fine powder.
- While still hot, transfer party mix to a large bowl. While tossing, sprinkle spice mix over and continue to toss until evenly coated. (If you try to season the mix on the baking sheet, you’ll lose most of the spices to the sticky bottom.) Remove liner from baking sheet. Return party mix to unlined baking sheet and let cool completely.
- Do Ahead: Party mix can be made 1 month ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe by Sohla El-Waylly
Visit our friends at bonappetit.com