- 1 medium globe eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- 1 half-sour pickle
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- Pita or flatbread (for serving)
Hide All Images
- Preheat oven to 450°. Slice 1 eggplant in half lengthwise, then score cut sides in a crosshatch pattern.
- Place eggplant on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle all over with 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt. Arrange cut sides down and roast until cut sides are dark golden brown and skin sides begin to collapse, 12–18 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, do a little prep. First, finely chop 1 pickle. Transfer half to a medium bowl; reserve remaining half for serving.
- Peel 1 garlic clove and finely grate with a microplane into bowl with pickle. Add ¼ cup yogurt and stir to combine.
- Pick cilantro leaves and tender stems from sprigs and coarsely chop; set aside for serving.
- When eggplant is cool enough to handle, turn cut side up and scoop flesh onto cutting board. Coarsely chop eggplant until mostly broken down, then add to bowl with pickle mixture, leaving any excess liquid behind. Season with more salt and stir to combine.
- Place pita directly on oven rack and toast 1 minute. Cut into quarters.
- Top dip with reserved pickles, cilantro, and a drizzle of oil. Serve with pita alongside.
Recipe by Lauren Schaefer
Visit our friends at bonappetit.com